So as always life gets busy especially when you’re juggling some many things at once! But I’ve had to make the conscious decision to take a break for my own sanity. Yes I Sherisha took a break(sarcasm) I don’t no why but I felt like I was doing something wrong if I wasn’t constantly working on my businesses, as if in some strange way I wasn’t really about my hustle. As bazaar as it sounds, those of you that can relate will understand. It’s so hard to shut off from business mode, even in your sleep you are some how thinking about it. But there got to a point where even the sound of my phone vibrating or to see the notification light flash felt like pressure or stress. I felt mentally and emotionally drained and to be honest I just wanted to hide away from the world and throw in the towel.
It’s really important that self care is part of the routine and to understand the world will not fall apart if we take time out.We must invest in ourselves otherwise we’re no good to anyone. My creative flow is at it’s best when I’m happy and feeling energised, in fact it goes for all areas of my life. I’ve had to realise that self care isn’t something that’s a one off, something I can tick off my bucket list but that it’s tiny habits that need to be implemented into our daily routines in order to help soothe and make sure we’re at optimum—emotionally, physically, and mentally.
Here are some tips you can try in your self care routine;
- Meditation-you can find so many methods on meditation but a simple way is to lay down close your eyes, take in three deep breaths and let your mind relax along with some relaxation music-Me Time Music
- Read a book-this is a great way of escapism, reading can take you off into your own world. Check out Amazons range of-Self Care Books
- Listen to a podcast or something motivational. Here are a few recommendations: -Behind The Brilliance, Happy Black Woman, Myleik Teele’s podcast, She Means Business, The Receipts, Girls Perspective(of course)
- Get the mind ticking with a mind game, quiz or some good old fashion fun with a board game.(scrabble anyone)
- Try something you haven’t done before. The reason the mind can feel down and depressed is often due to routine, step out of the cycle and tick something off your list of “To Do’s.”
- Ask for help. This is something that I’ve had to learn to do more often. Take it from me don’t try to be superwoman we all need a helping hand.
- Go for a walk or to the park and take in the scenery or lay down and cloud watch.
- Try out The Body Scan Technique to check in with each part of your body.
- Switch it up in the kitchen and try out some healthy recipes. Diet plays an important role in self care and making sure we indulge in healthy options plays a big part on our health.
- Pamper yourself, there’s no need to break the bank. Grab yourself a mask, some lovely baths salts, a bottle of wine and some nibbles and take a extra bubbly bath. If that isn’t enough then go for a massage or spa day.
- Get at least 15 minutes of sun(in the UK it can be a challenge) but studies show that sun rays have a huge impact on our mental state as well as it being good for the melanin.
- Check in with your emotions today, without judgement, mentally name what you are feeling and see what needs to be worked on if you are feeling unbalanced.
- If you are someone of faith take some time out to pray and connect with God.
- Write in your journal about your thoughts and feelings and set some goals for the new week.
- Do something nice for someone else. There is something about doing good for others without any expectation that has a very rewarding feeling.
- Choose who you spend your time. Ensure you’re around those that uplift you, I call them radiators and not drainers, people who bring you down with negative energy.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, but small steps become daily habits.
The more you part take in things that edify you the mist will begin to lift.
You’ll start to feel more connected with yourself and the world around you.
Remember a car without fuel is no use! By using some of these tips it can prevent a full burn out.
Try to do at least one self care tip each day.
So which one will you try first?